Strategic Retreat

During training it is inevitable that as limits are pushed the body may push back. The important thing to do is listen to your body and respond accordingly. Whether you are out for a run or in the gym when a painful twinge hits it might just be time to take a break and evaluate your bio-mechanics. This is an opportunity to grow as an athlete and possibly fix something that would later limit your progress.

My personal experience with this hit last week during a leg day lift. Nearing the end of my posterior squats a sharp bite in my right anterior hip began to build. By my second set of dead-lifts it was clear that something was going on that required attention and I stopped my workout. In my stubborn past I would have just grit my teeth and finished the lift but due to the time constraints of this training schedule I don't have the luxury of being sidelined by a larger injury. Looking back, stopping the workout was the smartest thing I could have done. It allowed me to explore the hip complex and hone in on where the discomfort originated.  After some research I built a strategy to address the issue and only missed half a workout. I'll be including a breakdown of the rehab I have been performing on my hip.

The important take home is that during training when you get a sense that something isn't going right listen to your body, step back and re-evaluate. A short stoppage in training now is better than a longer term injury down the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Lower Body Biomechanics

The Experiment

My Hip Rehabilitation